If recalling something from the past feels like you have to “drag it up,” there is almost always unresolved pain attached to the experience that still affects you today.
Speak about the past.
- You can speak about those issues that have created the pain.
- You can say no to your shame.
- You can learn to find ways to express your anger without hurting yourself.
- You can develop new beliefs and behaviors that support you in the way you deserve to be supported.
- You can learn how to get access to the power within you that does exist.
Yes, it’s difficult to speak about the past when you’ve had to deny, minimize, or discount the first fifteen or twenty years of your life.
But can you still afford to be held hostage by the past?
I can not.